This course is specifically designed to prepare attendees taking the National Board of Echocardiography (NBE) certification examination. It has a focused emphasis on the NBE examination format, ultrasound physics, 2D and M-Mode, hemodynamics, valvular heart disease, ischemic heart disease, heart failure and cardiomyopathies, pericardial disease, congenital heart disease, and newer imaging techniques. The course will review all aspects of cardiovascular ultrasound with a practical and clinical disease orientated focus. Well-known experts and recognized educators in each field of echocardiography will give in-depth didactic lectures pertaining particularly to integration of echocardiographic data into clinical practice. Each lecture will be followed by multiple choice type question and answer sessions facilitated by an audience response system. Special evening sessions will include a hemodynamic workshop and an entertaining game show involving the entire audience that will review highlights of material covered in the course.
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Upon conclusion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Explain basic physical principles of ultrasound and instrumentation
- Correlate cardiac gross pathology with echocardiographic images
- Evaluate cardiac chamber size, left ventricular systolic and diastolic function, and right ventricular systolic function
- Analyze and interpret echocardiographic derived hemodynamic data
- Interpret transesophageal images and distinguish attributes and limitations versus transthoracic echocardiography
- Evaluate acute and chronic ischemic heart disease using standard and stress echocardiography
- Diagnose and quantify etiology and severity of native and prosthetic valvular heart disease
- Distinguish and differentiate causes of heart failure, cardiomyopathies and pericardial disease
- Diagnose and differentiate cardiac masses
- Diagnose and distinguish diseases of the aorta
- Identify echocardiographic features of systemic disease with associated cardiac involvement
- Integrate newer echocardiographic technologies
Attendance at this Mayo Clinic course does not indicate nor guarantee competence or proficiency in the performance of any procedures which may be discussed or taught in this course.
This course is intended for cardiologists, echocardiographers, and cardiology fellows. Participants with working knowledge of echocardiographic techniques and applications will benefit most from this program.